Our family came home from Japan in April. I had made two more Mark IIIs and had enough leftover wood to make one more camera. It was in mid-June that I decided to create a new camera with a new frame output… Specifically, a panoramic one.
I had read about panoramic pinholes online but had never really thought about making one until then. Because I loved to challenge myself, I didn’t want to make an ordinary, flat/straight-plane panoramic frame, I wanted a curved one. I then designed the curved plane first and then built the camera around it. It was a challenge to figure out how to get the film to curve with the plane but after a bit of redesigning, I made a removable border that pushed the film negative unto the curved plane and made loading film easier.
This camera was also the last model to feature the two-knob design. I was also able to attain a tripod mount after salvaging a junk camera I had purchased in Shinjuku.
Since this camera was different from the rest, I decided to reverse the colors and stain the body black whilst maintaining the wooden finish on the slide shutter. This was also one of the first cameras to be protected with beeswax rather than a polyurethane coat. It took me a total of three days to complete the build and because I was so focused on making it, I hardly took note of the measurements. Oh well. haha